Keto Rye Bread Chaffle
Keto Rye Bread Chaffle
Wait until you try this delicious Keto Rye Bread Chaffle. I have been working on a keto Reuben sandwich and was trying to come up with a great substitute for rye bread. I am so happy with the end result! This fabulous recipe is the ideal substitute for rye bread and tastes absolutely divine in a Reuben Sandwich.
Ground linseed along with a little almond meal/flour gives the rye taste to this recipe. The addition of caraway seeds though, takes this recipe to the next level. I highly recommend you try the recipe with the caraway seed. I grind them with the linseed to a powder so you get the flavor without the seedy texture.
WHAT IS A REUBEN SANDWICH?
A Reuben sandwich is made with corned beef/silverside, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and Russian dressing, between slices of rye bread. Traditionally it is grilled until the bread is crispy and the cheese melts. You have the option to serve your sandwich either hot or cold.
My preference is to serve it hot, with the cheese melting over the meat. As my chaffles are hot out of my chaffle iron, I like to top the bread with the beef and the cheese and zap in the microwave for about 30 seconds. I then add the sauerkraut and drizzle the dressing on top before topping with the remaining chaffle.
WHAT IS A CHAFFLE?
A chaffle is a recent invention and is a combination of a waffle that is made with cheese- hence ‘chaffle”. You can make a chaffle in a smaller chaffle iron which creates smaller chaffles. You can also use a traditional waffle maker to make a chaffle/waffle. I have both a smaller chaffle maker as well as a Breville Creations Waffle Maker. The waffle maker creates a larger Belgian style waffle in contrast to the traditional smaller square or round chaffle.
Note that the larger waffle maker will make 1 larger waffle which will equate to 2 smaller chaffles. You can simply cut your waffle/chaffle in half. Alternatively you can halve the batter to cook in the waffle maker but bear in mind that it will have uneven edges as the batter won’t run to the edges.
DON”T DESPAIR IF YOU DON”T HAVE A CHAFFLE OR WAFFLE IRON- YOU CAN BAKE THESE ON THE STOVE TOP
Don’t despair if you don’t have a chaffle iron or a waffle iron as you can cook your chaffle on the stove top just like a pancake. Spoon half the mixture into a greased hot frying pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium high before flipping and cooking the other side.
MORE DELICIOUS CHAFFLE RECIPES
If you are looking for some more fabulous savory chaffles you may want to check out these other recipes that feature on the blog. As with this recipe, these are all quite simple to make and are perfect for a more substantial but easy to make recipe. The Keto Okonomiyaki Chaffle and Chinese Breakfast Chaffle (Jian Bing) are truly fabulous recipes that I highly recommend you try. The flavors are quite true to the original recipes as well.
You also can’t go past the Keto Zucchini Bacon Chaffle, which is a chaffle play on the classic zucchini slice. All of these recipes are more like meals and are quite quick and easy to make so I highly recommend you give them a try.
Don’t forget to tag me in your efforts at #ketohh and #alowcarblowsugarlifestyle. Let me know what you think of any of my recipes if you find the time to make them.
Savory Pancake Mix
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed/linseed
- 1 tablespoon almond flour/almond meal
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon EVOO- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Water
- ⅓ cup shredded/grated tasty cheese or 2 tablespoons grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your waffle/chaffle maker.
- Grind the linseed/flaxseed and the caraway seeds until powdered. Add to a small bowl and mix in the remaining ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the ½ the chaffle ingredients onto the chaffle maker and gently spread out to cover the base. Cook until the chaffle is cooked through and has browned. Remove gently onto a serving dish and cook the remaining half of the batter.
To Make a Reuben Sandwich
- Place sliced corned beef and Swiss cheese onto one of the chaffles. If you want melted cheese, zap for 30 seconds in the microwave. Top with sauerkraut and a generous drizzling of easy to make Keto Reuben Russian Dressing To make your own corned beef/silverside, check out this simple recipe for Keto Corned Beef.