Low Carb Crepes
Low Carb Crepes
These delicious low carb crepes are really quick and easy to make. Not only are they sugar free but they are also made from really simple ingredients. Most of you will have almond flour, cream cheese, and eggs in your pantry and if not they are easily sourced, so they make a fabulous breakfast or dessert option. This is a gluten free, keto version of traditional French crepes and they can also be served as savoury crepes if required by omitting the sweetener.
The fabulous thing about making low carb crepes for breakfast is that they are so simple to make. The texture is spot on as well. They are light and fluffy and aren’t overly eggy in flavour either. If you want to serve these with Nutella, make sure you check out the recipe I posted recently for Homemade Sugar Free Nutella. Nutella and crepes go together like….well, ask the French as it’s a favourite on the many crepe stalls you find in France, and you get to enjoy them without the sugar.
LOW CARB CREPES FOR BREAKFAST OR DESSERT
Serve these delicious crepes for breakfast but they are also fabulous as a quick and easy dessert. The secret to this recipe is using cream cheese, as it helps the batter to adhere together- an issue for many keto pancakes. Cream cheese also helps the crepes to be wonderfully light in texture as well.
LOW CARB CREPE TOPPING AND FILLING IDEAS
Here are some fabulous ways to serve these delicious crepes-
Maple Syrup with dobs of butter or drizzles of pure/heavy cream
Topped or filled with home made Sugar Free Nutella
Home made Sugar Free Nutella, strawberries drizzled with pure/heavy cream
Try whipping a little additonal cream cheese with some sweetener for a creamy topping or filling and add your favourite berries. Whipped coconut cream is a great alternative to cream when you want a creamy topping that’s dairy free.
STORING AND REHEATING CREPES
Leftover crepes should be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat crepes, microwave for 20 seconds till warm. You can also reheat in a frying pan but only do it enough to warm them up and not dry them out.
MORE FABULOUS KETO BREAKFAST IDEAS
If you are looking for some delicious ideas for sugar free and low carb breakfast options, make sure you check out some of these recipes.
Pumpkin and Feta Quiche/ Frittata
Low Carb Pancakes
Keto Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes
Low carb No Oats Oat meal
Granola Recipes – Coconut and Macadamia and regular Low Carb Granola
Chai Chia Pudding
Yogurt and Raspberry Chia Pudding
Bacon Tomato Feta and Egg Muffins
Scrambled Eggs with Cheese and Spinach
- 70 grams almond flour
- 1 tablespoon monk fruit sweetener or erythritol or sweetener of choice. Adjust to suit taste
- A pinch of salt
- 100 grams cream cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 70 mls almond milk or nut milk of choice
- In a mixing bowl microwave the cream cheese for about 30-60 seconds to make it soft. Mix in the eggs. Finally add the milk, almond meal and salt and beat until combined. This can be done by hand or with a blender/beater.
- Heat a frying pan up to medium heat temperature. Add a dab of butter. The butter should melt quickly but not brown. Swirl the pan to distribute the butter then pour in 1/4 cup portion of the batter. Swirl the pan around for the batter to form a bread and butter plate size crepe.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes ensuring it has browned sufficiently before flipping and cooking for about another 2 minutes on the other side. Do not flip your crepes too early or they will fall apart. Add a dab of butter to the pan in between cooking each crepe. If butter burns the pan is too hot.
- Top or fill your crepes with your favorite topping and/or filling.