Sugar Free Lemon Cream Tart
Sugar Free Lemon Cream Tart
This delicious Sugar Free Lemon Cream Tart is a fabulous combo of slightly sweet but tart lemon, finished with a luscious light cream topping. If you’re like me and a lover of lemon sweets, you are going to absolutely love this recipe.
The sweet pie crust used for the base is quick and easy to make and is also sugar free and low in carbs. The combination of all of these flavours makes this a dessert guaranteed to be a hit with everyone. Even the carb lovers are going to love it, whether they follow a low carb diet or not.
BETTER THAN LEMON MERINGUE PIE
Inspiration for this recipe came from trying to develop a lemon meringue pie. While I was determined to perfect the recipe, I then decided that the meringue wasn’t necessary. Simplifying the recipe by thickening cream, sweetener and vanilla extract with gelatin, makes the perfect topping to the lemon base. Smooth and creamy this sets ever so slightly and tastes even better than meringue.
MORE LEMON BASED RECIPES FEATURING ON KETOHH.COM
Lemons feature fairly heavily in recipes on my blog, so there are quite a few that you might want to check out if you’re as big a fan as I am. Lemon Slice, Lemon Pistachio Cookies, Sugar Free Lemon Coconut Bars, Lemon Mug Cake are a couple of recipes I suggest you try. There are plenty more recipes that you’ll find by doing a search for lemon in the search bar, such as cheesecake, blueberry cake etc.
Be sure to let me know how you go making your own sugar free lemon cream tart yourself. Tag #ketohh @ketohh with photos of your efforts. I love seeing what you guys create in your own kitchens.
- 135 grams almond flour/almond meal
- 35 grams coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons erythritol or monk fruit blend/alternative sweetener
- 1 tablespoon psyllium powder or switch for sugar free protein powder
- 100 gms / 3.5 oz butter
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 egg
- A pinch of salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- ⅓ cup erythritol or alternative sweetener
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice or up to 1 cup for a tarter base
- ⅓ cup pure/heavy cream
- ⅓ cup sour cream can be switched for additional cream or marscapone cheese
Cream Topping Ingredients
- 1½ cups pure/heavy cream
- ¼ cup erythritol or alternative sweetener
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon powdered gelatin
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest optional but can also be used for garnish
To make the tart base
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blitz until blended. Alternatively zap the butter and cream cheese in the microwave until just soft but not melted. Roughly chop up further with a knife. Add remaining tart base ingredients to the butter mixture and stir until just combined. Shape into a ball and refrigerate covered until dough firms up.
- Line a 20-25 cm pie dish with the dough. Either roll out the dough with a rolling pin between 2 sheets of baking paper or use your fingers to press the dough into the sides and base of the dish. If the dough tears use your fingers to patch it. Create a nice line along the edges by using your fingers to shape it. Trim with a knife if need be. If dough is too soft to use, refrigerate till it firms.
- Use a fork to prick the base all over. Bake at 165 C/ 330 F fan forced for 10 minutes. Then bake covered with aluminium foil for another 5 minutes to prevent browning. Allow to cool while you prepare the filling.
To Make the Filling
- Using a hand beater, beat the eggs, lemon juice, sweetener, sour cream and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl. until well blended
- Pour the filling into the pastry base.
- Bake at 165 C / 330 F fan forced for 30 minutes or the filling has set around the edges. The centre can still be slightly jiggly as it will firm up once the lemon tart cools. Cover the edges of the pastry with aluminium foil to prevent further browning of the base if necessary.
- Allow to cool in the fridge for a couple of hours prior to adding the topping
To Make the Topping
- Bloom the gelatin powder in the cold water. Microwave or heat on the stove top until the gelatin dissolves (about 45 seconds in the microwave). Allow it to cool.
- Beat the cream with the sweetener until peaks form. Add the vanilla, lemon zest and cooled gelatin mixture. Continue to whip until the mixture thickens slightly. Spoon onto the cooled lemon filling and level with a spatula. Return to the fridge for 60 minutes prior to serving.