Creamy Mushroom Keto Chicken Casserole
Creamy Mushroom Keto Chicken Casserole
Who doesn’t love the combination of chicken and mushrooms in a creamy cheesy garlic sauce? This fabulous recipe for Creamy Mushroom Keto Chicken Casserole is in fact a one pot wonder. Quite simple to throw together and ready in about 35-40 minutes this would make a great work night family meal. And….everyone is going to absolutely love it.
While the image in the recipe features chicken breast, I tend to use them for photos as they photograph a lot better than other cuts of chicken. Make this recipe with boneless chicken thighs for my personal favorite chicken cut, because it cooks up so moist and tender. You could also use chicken tenderloins. Avoid chicken with bone in as it will take a lot longer to cook, unless you allow for additional time when you make the recipe.
Even though this dish is cooked totally in a heavy based pan on the stove top, I still refer to it as a casserole. The reason for this is that the chicken pieces are simmered gently (or casseroled) in the sauce to help make the chicken pieces more tender. It could have been called a one pot dish but the chicken pieces are so immersed in the sauce that I think casserole is appropriate.
How To Serve Creamy Mushroom Keto Chicken Casserole
My favorite way to serve this delicious dish is on it’s own with a simple side of buttered green beans. Cauliflower Mash or cauliflower rice would also go really well, along with a serve of your favorite low carb vegetable.
More Delicious Low Carb Casserole Options
If you are looking for some more fabulous low carb casserole options you may want to check out these recipes.
Healthy Low Carb Tuna Casserole
Creamy Tuscan Chicken
Low Carb Creamy Chicken Spinach Bake
All of these recipes would make great work night meals or family meals that everyone will love.
- 1000 gms boneless and skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter or EVOO- extra virgin olive oil for pan frying the chicken
To Make The Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 500 gms sliced mushrooms
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese at room temperature
- ⅔ cup heavy/pure cream
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated or tasty/hard cheese of choice
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley to garnish
- Season the chicken with the salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter in a large heavy based frying pan over medium to high heat. Brown the chicken for about 5-6 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove chicken and additional juices from the pan and set aside covered in aluminium foil.
- Add additional butter to the pan and the garlic and heat until the butter melts. Add the mushrooms and saute until soft. Add the onion powder and paprika and stir through.
- Whisk the cream cheese into the mushrooms until well blended. Mix in the cream and the sour cream and stir until the sauce becomes smooth and creamy. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the juices from the cooked chicken and whisk into the sauce. Add the cheese and stir until the cheese melts.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and allow to simmer gently for about 10 minutes. Cover the dish with a lid off the heat for about 15 minutes before serving, for soft and tender chicken.
- Sprinkle the dish with fresh chopped parsley just prior to serving. Serve with a side of your favorite greens such as green beans or broccoli. Cauliflower Rice and Cauliflower Mash go well with this dish.
2 thoughts on “Creamy Mushroom Keto Chicken Casserole”
This was just amazing. I served it to my 3 fussy monsters with rice (I had cauliflower rice). It was a huge hit with all plates scraped clean. Will be making again
Thanks Tanya. It’s always great when the little ones approve.
Comments are closed.