Just wait until you try this simple to make delicious Keto Pizza. Pizza is one of the dishes that many of us really miss when switching to a low carb or keto way of eating. One of the most popular keto/low carb pizza bases features the famous “fat head dough”, which is basically cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, eggs and a little almond flour or coconut flour combined. While I love fat head dough pizza, I do struggle at times with the amount of fat that it contains, so my quest was to try to make a slightly healthier pizza base.
There is no need to heat the cheese used for the keto pizza base as you do for a fat head dough pizza. The recipe also features yeast, as I was trying to emulate those authentic pizza flavors as much as I could. While I recommend that you leave the yeast in the warm water to sit for a while to activate before using, you can also mix this dough up and use it immediately. The flavor of the yeast will still pull through even if it hasn’t activated fully. You can leave the yeast out of the recipe if desired but I recommend including it if you can, as the yeasty flavors add another element to the recipe.
These keto pizza bases can be used immediately or the they can be pre-baked and then frozen. If you have leftover pizza, it will also freeze really well. Make sure you store in an air tight zip lock bag that’s been well sealed to prevent freezer burn and the pizza icing up.
Pizza Sauce Options
Some great low carb, keto pizza sauce toppings for your keto pizza include store bought low carb tomato passata or marinara sauce. Sugar free tomato paste mixed with garlic and herbs and a little water can also be used.
Easy Home Made Pizza Sauce – for a really delicious but simple option you could make your own sugar free pizza sauce. Boil 400 gm/ 14 oz tinned diced tomato, along with 2 teaspoons minced garlic, 2 teaspoons chopped oregano or basil and a tablespoon of vinegar on the stove top. Simmer until the sauce thickens and then use to top your pizza base.
Pizza Topping Options
Top your pre-baked pizza base with your pizza sauce and use the following low carb toppings to create your own favorite pizza. Note that this list isn’t comprehensive.
Tasty/ hard cheese/blue cheese/feta
Red or green capsicum/peppers
Salami and pepperoni
Cooked meat such as chicken/beef/lamb/pork
Arugula/rocket/spinach leaves taste great when added once the pizza has been baked
More Low Carb Pizza Options
If you want to try a couple of other brilliant recipes for low carb pizza, you might want to check out these recipes for Eggplant Pizza and a Cauliflower Pizza Base. All three of these pizza’s are brilliant options, and make the perfect switch for when you want to enjoy home made pizza.
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 sachet dry yeast granules - approximately 1 tablespoon dried yeast. Optional but recommended.
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons EVOO- extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups blanched almond meal/flour
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon psyllium powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cups grated mozzarella cheese
- A generous pinch of salt
- Mix the yeast with the warm water and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes on the bench. Whisk in the eggs and the extra virgin olive oil. Add the almond flour, coconut flour, salt, psyllium powder and baking powder and mix until well combined. Add the mozzarella cheese and mix until the cheese has been well distributed. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before creating your bases.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/390 F fan forced
- Divide the dough into number of pizza bases required ie, 2 medium pizza bases or approximately 4 smaller pizzas. Knead each piece into a smooth ball.
- Tear off a piece of quality baking paper and place your dough round into the centre of the paper. Press down gently with your hands into a round shape. Place another sheet of baking paper over the top of the dough and use a rolling pin to roll out to approximately 7 mm / .3 " thick. Remove the top sheet of baking paper. Use your hands to create a smooth edge.
- Cook the bases for approximately 8 minutes, or until slightly brown and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven. You can create pizzas straight away or pizza bases can be cooled and stored in the fridge or freezer for later use.
To Create a Pizza
- Flip your base so it's upside down. Top your pizza base with the pizza sauce if desired and your favorite toppings.
- Return to the oven at 200 C/ 390 F and cook for another 5-6 minutes or until your pizza has cooked and cheese has melted.
Home Made Pizza Sauce Recipe
- Boil 400 gm/ 14 oz of tinned diced tomato, along with 2 teaspoons minced garlic, 2 teaspoons chopped oregano or basil and a tablespoon of vinegar on the stove top.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens and then use to top your pizza base.