Pad Thai Zoodle Salad
Pad Thai Zoodle Salad
One of my favorite all time dishes is Pad Thai. When I developed my fabulous recipe for a Keto Low Carb Pad Thai, I was really excited to find that I could replicate the recipe in such an authentic way. Given that it’s summer in Australia now and it was just a little too hot to cook in my kitchen, I played around with the recipe to come up with this delicious keto Pad Thai Zoodle Salad. Just wait until you try it! It’s such a superb recipe and is really simple to make as well.
Enjoy Pad Thai Zoodle Salad as a main meal or use it as a side dish. While I have kept the salad simple without adding any meat or seafood, you could easily add cold shredded chicken or fresh prawns to make it more substantial if desired. Add pan fried firm tofu for a great protein boost, especially if you want to keep the recipe Vegan or Vegetarian.
I source my Konjac noodles from Aldi or from my local supermarket. You can also buy them in Japanese or Asian specialty stores. Konjac noodles can also be called Shirataki noodles, and both are the same thing. They make a wonderful low carb noodle replacement option, especially for recipes that would normally use rice noodles.
Some people complain of a funny smell when they open a packet of konjac noodles. I find the smell dissipates and have never noticed a strange taste when cooking with them. I have cooked with many different brands and types of konjac/shirataki noodles and have never had any issues.
Try serving this delicious Pad Thai Zoodle Salad on it’s own or to make it more substantial add a serve of protein on the side. I particularly love to serve this dish with Chicken Satay as the flavors work really well together.
If you are looking for some more recipes a little similar to this one, check out these recipes for Low Carb Pad Thai, Low Carb Asian Slaw with Chicken and Low Carb Mexican Slaw. There is also a fabulous recipe for Asian Beef Zoodle Salad.
I can’t wait to get your feedback on this fabulous recipe. If you find the time to make it, please share it to your hearts content with the world to help me get this recipe out there.
Pad Thai Dressing Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce use tamari or coconut aminos as an alternative
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter or nut butter
- 1 tablespoon tahini unhulled
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil or EVOO-extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons water to thin the dressing
- Juice of 1½ limes or to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon Tamarind paste
- ½ teaspoon red chili minced - or to taste
- 3 teaspoons stevia blend or alternative sweetener- optional and to taste
Pad Thai Salad Ingredients
- 400 gms Konjac/Shirataki noodles additional zucchini zoodles can be used in lieu of these
- 400 gms zucchini zoodles approx 3 medium zucchini cut into zoodles.
- 1 red pepper/capsicum very finely sliced
- 1 cup kale leaves very thinly sliced or bok choy greens/spinach greens
- 4 spring onions finely sliced
- ½ cup coriander chopped lncluding roots
- ⅓ cup unsalted peanuts chopped
- ½ cup bean sprouts
- Red chili flakes dried
- Coriander leaves chopped
- Wedges of lime
Method for Pad Thai Sauce
- Mix all ingredients together into a sauce and set aside. If sauce is too thick use additional water to thin it down.
Method for Pad Thai Salad
- Pour boiling water over the konjac/shirataki noodles and let sit for a few minutes. Drain and run cold water over them and set aside to cool.
- Combine the noodles with the remaining salad ingredients. Add the Pad Thai dressing to taste and mix through gently until combined.
- Serve into individual bowls and garnish with chili flakes, chopped coriander leaves and a wedge of lime.