Sugar Free Blueberry Lemon Cake
Sugar Free Blueberry Lemon Cake
This delicious Sugar Free Blueberry Lemon Cake is a wonderfully balanced blend of blueberries combined with hints of fresh lemon. Every mouthful has wonderful sweet pops of juicy blueberries along with hints of fresh lemon.
It makes a lovely cake for afternoon tea to go with a cup of tea or coffee. If you make it without the drizzle, it also makes a lovely dessert served with some home made Sugar Free Vanilla Custard.
The test kitchen was well and truly utilized to get these flavors and the texture of this cake just right. The addition of coconut cream in the recipe enhances the lemon and blueberry flavors to perfection. You could also switch the coconut cream for almond milk or coconut milk if you wished to, but try the recipe as it is first. I don’t think you will be making any switches.
The Perfect Gluten Free Low Carb Low Sugar Treat
Sugar Free Blueberry Lemon Cake is perfect for diabetics, anyone suffering from a gluten intolerance and for those following a sugar free or low carb diet. Low Carb sweeteners are used to make the cake, but you could also make the cake without using them or by adding your favorite substitute.
If you shake your blueberries in about 1 teaspoon of almond flour, the blueberries won’t sink to the bottom of the cake. I am not so fussed about this when I bake this cake. If you’d rather have your blueberries better dispersed through out the cake, then I recommend you do it.
This cake rises beautifully but is still quite a dense cake. It takes nearly 60 minutes to bake at a reasonably low temperature. I baked it at about 155 C/ 311 F in a fan forced oven for about 55 minutes. If you find that your cake is browning too much, turn the temperature down a little. Covering your cake with some baking paper or foil will also prevent further browning.
This recipe freezes beautifully. Defrosting a piece to enjoy for morning tea is a little slice of heaven.
- 200 gms almond meal/almond flour
- 50 gms coconut flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt
- juice and rind of half a lemon
- 5 large eggs
- 100 ml sugar free coconut cream can be switched for almond milk or coconut milk
- 100 gms butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Erythritol or alternative sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries-rolled in 1 teaspoon of almond flour
Glaze Ingredients- optional
- 3 tablespoons low carb confectioners sweetener or 2 tablespoons of Erythritol/Stevia or Monkfruit blend processed to fine powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or to taste
Preheat oven to 155 C/310 F Fan Forced
- Cream the butter and the Erythritol until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well to blend incorporate before adding next egg.
- Mix the remaining dry ingredients and stir ensuring the baking powder is well distributed.
- Add the coconut milk, lemon juice and rind, and vanilla extract to the egg mixture and beat till combined.
- Pour the cake into a baking paper lined 9" x 5" loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean from the centre of the cake.
- Allow cake to cool in pan. Drizzle with glazing or dust with low carb sweetener to serve. Alternatively slice warm and serve with Sugar Free Vanilla Custard
- Combine lemon juice and sweetener together. Drizzle over the top of the cake.
I minimize the amount of sweetener used in recipes to reduce my sweet tooth, so you may wish to increase the amount to your taste. Taste the batter after you have mixed it and it will give you an idea of whether it will be sweet enough for you. If you switch sweeteners and use a Stevia or Monkfruit and Erythritol blend, it is a lot sweeter than Erythritol or Xylitol on it's own, so you will need to reduce the amount that you use, ie I would recommend 1-2 tablespoons. If you don't have confectioners sweetener, simply blitz some erythritol or erythritol blends in a food processor till fine.
2 thoughts on “Sugar Free Blueberry Lemon Cake”
Just the recipe I was looking for. Thanks so much for sharing.
Yum! I am all about anything lemon flavoured.
Comments are closed.