Shakshuka is a reknowned dish of eggs poached in a sauce of tomato, onion and chili, and is commonly spiced with cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper. Although the dish has existed in the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern regions, this more popular version is based on an egg and vegetable based recipe which originated from Tunisia. This is an Easy Shakshuka recipe that is perfect for when you don’t have time to make a more traditional version which does require the addition of Harissa. Finish this dish off topped simply with feta cheese and chopped coriander or parsley.
This is a fairly substantial dish that would be suitable for any meal of the day, breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. Its really simple to make and is also ideal for adding additional ingredients such as green vegetables like kale, spinach, zucchini, squash, or my favorite addition, which is eggplant.
How To Serve Easy Shakshuka
Eat Shakshuka on its own or serve it with some low carb sides such sauteed greens, oven roasted vegetables such as Oven Roasted Moroccan Cauliflower or Oven Roasted Moroccan Pumpkin. To serve as a main meal, try serving it with a simple salad and some Cauliflower Cous Cous. For the carb lovers in your life, serve this with some fresh pide bread or your favorite loaf of bread/sour dough.
I often make this dish on clean out my fridge day, as I always have red peppers, tomato and onion in the fridge that needs using. If I don’t have time to make this dish then I will often just fry up the vegetables that need using, label them and freeze them. I then simply add them to my Shakshuka the next time I make it. Check out this recipe for the more traditional Shakshuka dish which you might like to make when you have a bit more time, as it also uses a home made Harissa paste in it. If you have any Harissa paste you could also add some to this recipe for a wonderful flavor boost.
If you only want to make this sauce for 1 or 2 people, I would still make the full amount and then freeze any leftover sauce you don’t us, to use at another time. Then it really will be an Easy Shakshuka recipe. If you don’t have any Moroccan Spice Mix, follow this simple recipe to make your own.
- 800 gms /28 oz diced tomato sugar free
- 1 red pepper diced green can be used as well
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced chili or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Moroccan Spice Mix
- 1.5 teaspoons mild paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons EVOO-extra virgin olive oil
- 8 eggs
- 200 gms /7 oz feta
- Fresh chopped coriander or parsley to serve
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the onions off on medium heat in a large heavy based frying pan in the oil until transparent.
- Add the garlic, pepper and spices and continue cooking for another 5 minutes, taking care not to burn.
- Add the diced tomato and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Turn the temperature down to very low and create nests in the sauce using the back of a spoon so you can position the eggs in the sauce.
- Crack eggs in to the nests, or crack one at a time into a small bowl and slide into the nests.
- Allow the eggs to poach for between 6-8 minutes or until cooked to desired taste. Cover them with a tight fitting lid or foil to assist with cooking the tops of the eggs. Note that if you have an oven proof pan you can finish off the eggs in the oven at 160 C/320 F for approximately 10- 12 minutes, or until eggs are cooked.
- To serve, sprinkle the dish with crumbled feta cheese and chopped coriander or parsley. For additional spice, garnish with fresh chopped chili as well.