Low Carb Shakshuka
Low Carb Shakshuka
This Low Carb Shakshuka recipe features poached eggs in a sauce of tomato, garlic, onion and red peppers that is spiced with turmeric, cumin, coriander and cinnamon. It also features Harissa, that wonderfully spicy Middle Eastern/Northern African condiment. This dish is finished off simply with feta cheese and chopped coriander. Feel free to switch the coriander for parsley if you need to.
Shakshuka is a reknowned dish of eggs poached in a sauce of tomato, onion, chili peppers, and is commonly spiced with cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper. Although the dish has existed in the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern regions,the more popular version of late which is based on an egg and vegetable-base, originated from Tunisia.
This flavoursome dish is a fairly substantial dish that would be suitable for any meal of the day, breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. Its really simple to make and is also ideal for adding additional ingredients such as green vegetables such as kale, spinach, zucchini, squash, or my favorite addition, which is eggplant.
Eat Shakshuka on its own or serve it with some low carb sides such as sauteed or oven roasted vegetables such as Oven Roasted Moroccan Cauliflower, or low carb bread. To serve as a main meal, try serving it with a simple salad and some Cauliflower Cous Cous. For the carb lovers in your life, serve this with some fresh pita bread or your favourite loaf of bread/sour dough.
I often make this dish on clean out my fridge day, as I always have red peppers, tomato and onion in the fridge that needs using. If I don’t have time to make this dish then I will often just fry up the vegetables that need using, label them and freeze them. I then simply add them to my Shakshuka the next time I make it. It’s funny how we become creatures of habit, as I always have the same left over vegetables in the fridge at the end of the week.
So…enjoy your Shakshuka!
2 Tbspns EVOO- extra virgin olive oil
4 tspns crushed garlic
1 red pepper, seeds and pith removed, diced
1 onion finely chopped
2 tspns turmeric
1 tspn ground coriander
1 tspn ground cumin
1/2 tspn ground cinnamon
3 Tbspns Harissa- home made or store bought
2 medium tomatoes chopped
400 gms/14 oz diced tomatoes no added sugar
200 gms/7 oz diced feta cheese
salt and pepper to taste
fresh coriander to garnish
1. In a large frying pan/or oven proof skillet, cook off the onion and garlic in the EVOO until soft and translucent. Add the red pepper and spices and continue to cook till soft.
2. Stir in the fresh and tinned tomato and continue cooking at a simmer for a further 20 minutes.
3. Take the pan off the heat and add the chopped feta to the sauce.
4. Create the required number of deep 'nests' in your sauce by using the back of a spoon.
4. Crack each egg into a small bowl one at a time (in case yolks are broken or there is an issue with the egg) and slide the eggs into the nests you have created, seasoning each one with salt and pepper.
5. Return the pan to the stove top on a very low heat setting and allow the eggs to poach for between 5-8 minutes or until cooked. Cover them with a tight fitting lid or foil to assist with cooking the tops of the eggs. Note that if you have an oven proof pan you can finish off the eggs in the oven at 160 C/320 F for approximately 10- 12 minutes, or until eggs are cooked.
6. To serve, sprinkle the dish with chopped coriander.
A KETohh creation