Healthy Broccoli Salad
Healthy Broccoli Salad
With the lead up to the festive season this year I have a bit of a menu planning dilemma, as the number of vegetarians in our family are growing. Many of my traditional recipes for ham and turkey, etc, won’t be suitable for everyone so there’s had to be a major rethink. I’ve had a fabulous recipe for a broccoli salad ready to post but it featured bacon so I decided to create a similar dish but keep it meat free. This is how this fabulous recipe evolved.
Thanks hubby for picking out the bacon from the original recipe and forcing me to get creative, as this salad is a winner. Not only is it paleo, vegetarian and vegan, but it still manages to fall under the low carb umbrella and is healthy to boot.The colors in this dish are bright and cheerful and just a little festive, making it perfect to serve over the festive season. Enjoy it on it’s own as a light meal, or serve it as a side dish. Any leftovers would make a great healthy lunch bowl as well.
A Nutritional Boost for Vegetarians and Vegans
Simple modifications to the recipe give you the option of boosting this healthy broccoli salad. If you wanted to serve this as a meal, I would boost the amount of hemp hearts used in the recipe to ensure you get an adequate amount of protein and add more sesame seeds for calcium. You could also add edamame or pan fried firm tofu for a further protein boost. If you’re vegan, you could also add some fortified nutritional yeast for a vitamin B12 boost as well.
Healthy Broccoli Salad is definitely going to make life a little easier when catering. It’s the perfect recipe when you are catering for a diverse crowd.
Salad Recipe Options
Don’t forget to check out some of the other wonderful salads that are on this website. There are some really simple to make recipes, such as Moroccan Chicken Salad , Asian Konjac Slaw, Asian Slaw, Cauliflower Tabouleh, Oven Roasted Pumpkin Haloumi Salad and a really lovely Pumpkin Bean and Feta Salad. Do a search for salad in the search bar as there are a lots more recipes to choose from, including some more substantial salad recipes like Lamb Haloumi and Roasted Pumpkin Salad and Low Carb Mexican Salad Bowl.
I hope you enjoy this recipe.
- 2 large heads of brocolli cut into small florets
- ¼ cup pepita seeds
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup sugar free dried cranberries
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion -can be switched for spring onions
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese- or vegan cheese
- 3 tablespoons hemp hearts -optional but a great protein boost
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds -optional but a great calcium boost
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons ACV apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon stevia blend or sweetener of choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the broccoli, onion, cheese, cranberries, nuts and seeds to a large salad serving bowl.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients and whisk until well blended.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir until all of the broccoli is lightly coated in dressing.
- Salad will will keep for 3 to 4 days in the fridge.