Healthy Low Carb Tuna Casserole
Healthy Low Carb Tuna Casserole
Wait until you see how easy it is to make this fabulous recipe for Healthy Low Carb Tuna Casserole. This is the most amazing tuna bake recipe without the carbs. It’s perfect for any watching their carb intake, keto, LCHF and of course is gluten free as well.
Although I haven’t eaten a lot of tuna bake in my adult life (until I started making this recipe), I used to love it as a child. My Aunty Katy used to make it, and the thing that I loved the most about it was that she crumbled potato chips/crisps on top. What child wouldn’t love that? So I managed to ketofy the topping for this recipe by replacing the potato chips/crisps with cheese crisps. Try this recipe, and I’m sure you will agree with me that it works brilliantly.
Easy To Make
The thing that I love about this recipe is that if you are time poor you can buy ready made ingredients if you wish to. Although I make cauliflower rice 90% of the time, sometimes I just don’t have the time or the inclination to do it. Purchasing bags of cauliflower rice from the local store can make life more simple, and I often have a bag in the fridge ready to use. Tuna is also one of those staples that you can have in the cupboard, ready to throw into a recipe like this one.
Although I have pan fried the onion and celery in this recipe, you could also cook them in the microwave to save time. In fact the whole recipe could be made in the microwave if you wanted to. You may want to grill the cheese at the end though to make it crispy.
If you want to see how easy it is to make this great tasting Healthy Low Carb Tuna Casserole, check out the youTube video below. Don’t forget to subscribe to the channel to make sure you don’t miss out on any new recipes that are posted.
Making the Cheese Crisps
The cheese crisps are so simple to make, and while they are optional, I suspect that you might be making them every time you make this recipe. If you want to have a quick look at how to make these, you can check out my youTube channel where you will find this quick video showing you how to make them. There is also a recipe for them at www.ketohh.com/chia-hemp-seed-cheese-crisps/ They literally take 10 minutes to bake in the oven and all that is required is to cut some cheese slices into triangles. They are that simple.
I can’t wait to get feedback on this recipe, as I am certain you are going to love it. Don’t forget to tag me and show me your efforts at #ketohh or @alowcarblowsugarlifestyle.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 celery stalks finely diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- ½ cup pure or heavy cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise or sour cream
- ½ cup grated/shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated/shredded tasty cheese for topping
- salt and pepper to taste
- 425 gms drained tinned tuna chunks
- 300 gms cauliflower rice
Additional Topping Option
- Cheese Crisps to taste
Preheat oven to 170 C/ 340 F fan forced
- Melt the butter in a large heavy based pan on the stove top. Add the onion, celery and garlic and cook off until the onion is transluscent and soft. Take care not to brown.
- Turn off the heat and stir the cream cheese into the onion and celery mix.
- Add the cream and sour cream or mayonnaise and mix until combined. Stir through the grated mozzarella cheese and season well with salt and pepper (be generous with the salt).
- Fold though the chunks of tuna, breaking up large chunks if need be.
- Fold through the cauliflower rice until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a large baking dish and top with the grated/shredded tasty cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30- 35 minutes or until heated through. Serve.
- Optional- top with Cheese Crisps for a delicious crispy topping.