Keto Soy Drumsticks
Keto Soy Drumsticks
Keto Soy Drumsticks aka ‘honey soy drumsticks’ are made using a low carb sweetener as a substitute for the honey. With no compromise on flavor at all you’ll find these drumsticks simple to make but as good as the traditional recipe.
Not only are these really simple to make but it’s a dish the whole family will love. Being both sugar free and gluten free, these are perfect to serve up to diabetics and celiacs. The flavors are the perfect mix of sweet and salty and that is what makes this dish a crowd favorite. Kids in particular love this recipe (even the big ones) and the leftovers taste great cold as well. I particularly love the slightly sticky sauce combined with the sesame seeds and chicken flavors.
KETO CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS aka HONEY SOY DRUMSTICKS
These featured on the table often in my house when I was young but were made with honey. Of course honey doesn’t fit in with a low carb way of eating. By switching the honey for a low carb sweetener, these delicious drumsticks are back on the menu.
Chicken is always a fabulous source of protein and are ideal for a low carb way of eating. Drumsticks are a cheaper cut of chicken and are just perfect for baking in the oven. Make sure you keep the skin on as it tastes delicious cooked in the soy glaze. Feel free to crisp the drumsticks under the grill at the end cooking if it isn’t crispy enough. You can also select other chicken cuts for this recipe such as thighs with skin on and bone, or you could also use boneless thighs or breast as well if preferred.
Drumettes and wings are ideal for this recipe, which are fabulous to serve for appetizers. Drummettes, wings and smaller cuts of chicken will cook a lot quicker than larger drumsticks, so reduce the cooking time to suit. Pork also goes well with this sauce, including pork belly.
HOW TO SERVE KETO SOY DRUMSTICKS
These taste fabulous served over Cauliflower Rice (or rice for the carb eaters in your house) along with a serving of Asian Slaw or Asian Slaw with Konjac Noodles. This recipe for Cauliflower Fried Rice is also fabulous served with these drumsticks. Pan fried Boy Choy goes wonderfully with this recipe or saute a mix of your favorite vegetables in garlic for a quick and easy side serve. A simple salad on the side is also a quick and easy to make option.
- 8 large Chicken Drumsticks
- ½ cup Tamari coconut aminos or soy sauce
- ⅓ cup monk fruit blend ,stevia blend, xylitol or erythritol. Coconut sugar or brown sweetener can also be used
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ¼ teaspoon minced chili or chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds toasted pan fry in a hot frying pan for 1-2 minutes till golden
- Preheat oven to 220C/425F.
- Combine the tamari, sweetener,, garlic, ginger and chili in a small microwaveable bowl or saucepan. Zap in the microwave for about 3 minutes on high, stirring after 1 ½ minutes, or bring to boil on the stove top and reduce to simmer for about 3 minutes. Leave sauce to cool and thicken slightly while you prepare the chicken.
- Wash and wipe drumsticks. Place in an oven proof dish (you can line with foil to reduce the mess) and pour the soy mixture over the drumsticks, using a brush to baste the legs with the sauce.
- Cook in the oven for approximately 15 mins then flip and baste your drumsticks and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes. Do one final baste and flip before returning to the oven to cook for a further 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Note that if your drumsticks are small in size you may have to reduce the cooking time.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve.