Asian Slaw with Konjac Noodles
Asian Slaw with Konjac Noodles
I lived in Asia for many years and really enjoyed eating many of their fresh Asian slaw like salads, which often featured rice noodles. Having been on the low carb band wagon for many years now, I haven’t eaten one of these types of salads for a long time but then….along came Konjac Noodles. Well, I say along came..they have actually been used for a long time in Japan, but they have just become popular in the rest of the world. Konjac noodles are prefect for this type of salad and are very similar in texture to rice noodles, so are ideal to use in any salad that you would normally use rice noodles. Needless to say, I’m pretty excited about this recipe for Asian Slaw with Konjac Noodles.
This recipe is ideal for anyone following a low carb, ketogenic, lchf or sugar free way of eating. It’s also a great recipe for diabetics, celiacs and anyone with gluten intolerances. It’s healthy and delicious and really simple to make with a few simple ingredients. I source my Konjac noodles from Aldi or from my local supermarket. You can also buy them in Japanese or Asian specialty stores. Konjac noodles can also be called Shirataki noodles, and both are the same thing.
Make sure you cook your noodles according to the instructions on the packet. Some people complain of a funny smell but I have never had an issue with that, and I cook with many different brands. There can be a bit of a strange smell when you first open them, as they are stored in liquid, but it dissipates once they have drained and are cooked.
I was trying to come up with a lovely side dish to go with another recipe for Sugar Free Vietnamese Chicken Wings and this salad is the absolute perfect accompaniment. So, I’m really recommending that if you make one of these recipes, you make the other one to go with it. You could also simply serve this as a salad or side dish, or you could also add some shredded chicken to it to make it a more substantial meal.
If you are looking for some more recipes a little similar to this one, check out these recipes for Low Carb Pad Thai, Low Carb Asian Slaw with Chicken and Low Carb Mexican Slaw. I hope you manage to find the time to make this recipe for Low Carb Asian Slaw with Konjac Noodles, and I would love to see your efforts.
- 400gms Konjac/Shirataki noodles
- 400gms cabbage finely sliced cabbage
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 1 large red pepper/capsicum finely sliced
- 2 spring onions finely chopped reserve a little for garnish
- 1 bunch coriander roughly chopped reserve a little for garnish
- 50 gms unsalted peanuts for garnish
- 1 small red chilli finely chopped or to taste for garnish-optional
Vietnamese Slaw Dressing
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon Lakanto Monkfruit Classic Sweetener stevia erythritol blend-or to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli minced or to taste
- Cook Konjac noodles according to instructions on the packet. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Add Konjac noodles to a large bowl and cut through the longer lengths of the noodles to make them shorter and easier to manage.
- Add the remaining slaw ingredients to the noodles and gently mix till well combined.
- Combine all of the slaw dressing ingredients together and mix well ensuring the sweetener has dissolved properly.
- Pour the dressing over the slaw mix and stir gently, till combined
- Serve the slaw garnished with peanuts, some chopped spring onions, chopped coriander and additional chopped red chili on the side if desired.