Pumpkin Bean Feta Salad
Pumpkin Bean Feta Salad
Pumpkin Bean and Feta Salad
This simple to make recipe is a substantial salad that tastes amazing, and its a superb way to get lots of healthy vegetables into a meal. Pumpkin Bean and Feta Salad is a fabulous enough dish to serve on its own for a light lunch, or serve it as a side with your favorite serving of meat or fish.
I like to use Danish feta in this recipe because it is soft and creamy but you could use normal feta as well. I also use balsamic vinegar in the dressing, which for some of you is a no if counting carbs, so please just switch it with some vinegar/redwine vinegar for an equally delicious result. I tried to eliminate balsamic from my diet but I just love the flavor too much, so I will continue to use it in my recipes.
You can use any type of pumpkin in this recipe for Pumpkin Bean and Feta Salad, but if you are counting carbs, then I recommend you use kent/Japanese/Kabocha pumpkin, as it is lower in carbs than other pumpkin. You could always replace the pumpkin with oven roasted sweet potato for a lovely alternative. I love the taste that oven roasted pumpkin imparts on this dish but you could also use steamed or boiled pumpkin if you wished to, but bear in mind that you will miss out in the caramel flavors gained by oven roasting.
This dish is impressive enough to grace any table, and it would also be great served at the more festive times of year, because of the lovely colors of the dish, plus the amazing flavors. If you are looking for another lovely salad option, be sure to check out salads in the search bar on this site, such as one of my favorites, a Pumpkin Haloumi and Beetroot Salad, as well as the delicious recipe for a Low Carb Cauliflower Potato Salad.
- 200 gms soft danish feta cubed
- 200 gms mixed lettuce leaf
- 200 gms Kabucha/Japanese/Kent Pumpkin diced- reduce amount or avoid if carb counting
- 200 gms fresh green beans
- 150 gms tomato diced/cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 small red onion sliced thinly
- Additional EVOO- extra virgin olive oil to cook the pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons pepita seeds for garnish
For the Dressing
- 3-4 tablespoons EVOO-extra virgin olive oil EVOO
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
Make The Salad
- Cube the pumpkin, skin and all. Drizzle with a little EVOO and bake in a very hot oven for about 30-40 minutes, until cooked and slightly caramelized all over. Allow to cool slightly.
- Cook the beans in a pot of boiling water for 2 minutes and plunge into cold water, to cool and drain.
- Place the green leaf salad in a large serving plate/bowl. Sprinkle with the thinly sliced red onion, feta, beans and pumpkin.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and drizzle over the salad. Sprinkle with the pepita seeds and serve.
- Replace the balsamic vinegar with red wine vinegar or lemon juice or just use olive oil.
- Load this recipe up on the Japanese/Kent/Kabocha pumpkin if you are not concerned about the carbs.
- Use sweet potato in place of the pumpkin.