Broccoli with Cheese Sauce
Broccoli with Cheese Sauce
Trying to come up with options for normal, everyday meals can be a bit of a chore. You want to eat and serve nice food, but don’t really have the time to do anything fancy. The best thing about this recipe for Broccoli with Cheese Sauce recipe is that it tastes real fancy…but it is really simple to make.
As easy as Pie
Simply boil or steam your broccoli slightly first, I often do this by placing the broccoli florets into the dish I am going to bake in, cover it with cling wrap or a microwave lid and zap for about 4-5 minutes in the microwave. There are no extra dishes or pans, and it’s instant. The sauce literally takes minutes to prepare. Again you can make it on the stove top, but I simply zap the cream cheese and butter in the microwave until soft, and then use a whisk to beat in the cream. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, add some grated cheese and voila…your sauce is ready to pour over your broccoli. There’s no need to make a roux with sauce and it is really so simple to make.
This dish is perfect for a family dinner but would also be ideal for a more special occasion and for entertaining. Your kids are going to love it, because everything tastes amazing with cheese, and this is achieved with not much effort at all.
More Delicious Vegetable Dishes
If you are after some more simple to make but delicious sides that are also perfect for a simple dinner at home but also perfectly suited for entertaining, check out some of these other recipes.
Cauliflower Cheese Bake
Hopefully these recipes will make life easier for you.
- 300 gms broccoli florets
- 90 gms cream cheese full fat
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup heavy cream/pure cream
- ¾ cup grated cheese or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the sauce, heat the butter and the cream cheese in the microwave until soft (or on the stove top in a small sauce pan.) Blend together with a whisk until smooth, slowly adding the cream. Stir in half of the grated cheese. Blitz again in the microwave (or continue cooking on the stove top) until the sauce thickens, whisking well in between. Don't be concerned if there are a few lumps in the sauce.
- Season the white sauce with salt and pepper and allow to sit and thicken for a few minutes while you prepare the broccoli.
- Cook the broccoli until just tender but still firm, either in the microwave, parboil or steam it. This can take about 3-4 minutes in the microwave but can vary. Watch out for steam if you microwave the brocolli.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the broccoli. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 170 C/340 F fan forced for 15- 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and browned slightly.