Keto Rhubarb Berry Crumble
Keto Rhubarb Berry Crumble
Keto Rhubarb Berry Crumble is one of those heart warming desserts that make me think of home. I initially thought that it was high in carbs so have been avoiding it, up until now. I was gifted a couple of rhubarb crowns along with a couple of bunches of stalks and was going to make apple and rhubarb crumble for my family. Fruit crumbles are generally high in carbs so I decided to replace the apple.
Bring on the berries!
Berries are the perfect replacement for apples in this keto rhubarb berry crumble. They add a little bit of sweetness and the flavors go wonderfully with rhubarb. Best of all….. they are low in carbs. Use fresh or frozen berries in this recipe without altering the method.
If ever I have a lot of rhubarb, I simply match it in weight in berries and cook up a large batch of rhubarb and berries. I freeze it in batches and use it to make crumble at a later date. The rhubarb and berry mixture also tastes wonderful on it’s own. Serve it with Greek yogurt for a quick dessert or enjoy for breakfast with muesli and Greek yogurt. It’s absolutely delicious!
Crumble recipes traditionally use brown sugar and flour in the crumble mix. To keep this recipe low carb I have replaced these foods with low carb friendly almonds, coconut and low carb sweeteners. To achieve slight caramel flavors in the recipe to emulate brown sugar, the butter is melted with the sweetener on the stove top. Just take care not to overcook the butter and sweetener as it can cause the mixture to crystallize.
Serving Keto Rhubarb Berry Crumble
This recipe tastes delicious served hot with your favorite cream or ice cream. You can also serve it on it’s own hot from the oven without any toppings. One of my favorite ways to eat the left overs is cold for breakfast with a couple of tablespoons of Greek yogurt. This is one of those recipes that can be served up to the whole family, and no one is ever going to guess that it’s a low carb or keto recipe.
More Delicious Dessert Ideas
If you are looking for some more fabulous low carb dessert ideas, make sure you scroll through the sweets tab. You’ll find recipes for wonderful desserts such as Creme Brulee and Low Carb Creamy Baked Cheesecake. There are also some pretty wicked chocolate desserts, including my Ottolenghi inspired Low Carb Chocolate Fudge Cake, that truly is heaven on earth.
It just goes to show that you can eat wonderful foods while trying to reduce your carb and sugar intake. I eat a wonderful array of food on my keto diet and love to enjoy dessert every now and then. Treats like this have definitely helped me to stick to a low carb way of eating on my ketogenic journey.
- 500 gms rhubarb trimmed and diced into 1 "/ 2.5 cm chunks
- 500 gms mixed berries, raspberries or strawberries fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup monk fruit (1:1 to sugar), erythritol, xylitol or alternate sweetener - see notes
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon and a squeeze of lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 165°C / 330 F fan forced.
- Simmer rhubarb, berries, lemon zest, lemon juice and sweetener in a saucepan over medium heat and cook for 8-10 minutes until the rhubarb starts to breakdown. Stir mixture to combine and set aside to cool slightly. Taste the mixture and add additional sweetener if desired. It should still retain a little tartness and not be overly sweet because the topping is also sweet.
- To make the crumble, melt the butter until it goes a light golden color. Add the sweetener and simmer gently for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. Add the almond meal, coconut, slivered/flaked almonds and salt to the butter mixture. Using a fork, roughly combine to form a chunky crumble mix. Use fingers to squeeze mix if desired to create larger chunks of crumble.
- Place the rhubarb berry mixture into a baking dish and top with the crumble mixture. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and fruit mixture is hot. If topping isn't crisp enough up the temperature towards the end for a few minutes. Note that this will cook a lot quicker than a regular crumble mix so keep an eye on it for excess browning.
- Serve hot with your favorite cream and/or ice cream.