Low Carb Coconut Fish Curry
Low Carb Coconut Fish Curry
Low Carb Coconut Fish Curry was inspired by my favorite Indian curry, Goan Fish Curry. I’ve tweaked this recipe to remove unnecessary carbs and to make it simple to make. The recipe uses tamarind paste, from the Tamarind tree which imparts a slightly sour taste, which is a real signature of this dish. The flavor of the tamarind is balanced by the creaminess of the coconut cream and spices. This dish is LCHF and Keto friendly, and does not have any added sugar.
Tamarind paste does contain sugar but as you only add 1 teaspoon the carbs are spread out between 4 serves. Feel free to omit if you wish to although it really makes this dish. Alternatively add a squeeze of lemon juice or a tablespoon of vinegar to take it’s place. The combination of spices, chili and coconut cream help to make this dish a delicious meal, worthy to be served on any occasion. Simply control the amount of chili that you use to tailor it to your own tastes.
What Fish Should You Use
Feel free to use fish of choice in this dish but my personal favorites are more subtle flavored white fish such as Ling, Snapper, Barramundi, Tilapia, Orange Roughy etc. The fish featured in the recipe is Ling. Try making this with the okra as the flavors go really well together. If you cannot source okra, Indian grocery stores generally have it either fresh and frozen. This recipe also tastes great made with fish alone, so don’t be disappointed if you can’t source any okra.
How To Serve Low Carb Coconut Fish Curry
Try serving this with Dahl, a low carb version if you can. For the most amazing tasting dahl recipe check this low carb version, Cauliflower, Brocolli and Sunflower Seed Dahl. Just wait until you try it as it tastes just like dahl made with lentils. My all time favourite accompaniment with this recipe is Coconut Pol Sambol. Dahl and coconut sambol are just made for each other. If you are after a low carb recipe for Naan bread to go with this recipe,try making your own low carb version by following this recipe Low Carb Flat Bread Wrap.
You will not be disappointed.
- 600 gms white fish of choice
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
- 1 large onion sliced very thinly
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tomato chopped
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- 2 teaspoons crushed chilli's or to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons mild Paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds/cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 250 ml coconut cream sugar free
- 250-350 gms fresh or frozen okra- optional but recommended.
- Marinade the fish in lime juice and turmeric and salt.
- Panfry the garlic and onion in a little oil/ghee in a large frying pan and cook till soft without browning.
- Process all of the other ingredients in a bullet/blender/ processor till smooth and blended. Add to the onion and garlic mix. Allow the spices to cook while stirring occasionally for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the okra now if you are using and cook for a further 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add to the fish in the frying pan and simmer until cooked.