Low Carb Zucchini Slice
Low Carb Zucchini Slice
A delicious low carb version of the classic, this Low Carb Zucchini Slice is simple to make, tastes delicious, and is sure to become a favorite in your house. It’s healthy, it’s so easy to make and it uses really simple ingredients. It is also suitable for LCHF, keto and low carb advocates and by removing the bacon in the recipe is also perfect for vegetarians and Paleo.
I love to eat Low Carb Zucchini Slice for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Simply heat up a slice on it’s own for an instant breakfast or lunch. Serve it with some fresh salad or roasted vegetables and you have a complete meal.
I haven’t grated the zucchini in this recipe as is usually done in a traditional zucchini slice recipe. I like the look of this dish with slices of zucchini and prefer the texture as well. If you are trying to hide vegetables for young children or would prefer to grate your zucchini, then please go ahead and use it. It won’t alter the recipe although grating the zucchini does bring out more water out of the zucchini, so the dish is firmer in texture when not grated.
This recipe freezes really well. I save it in single serves so that I can simply heat it up when I want it. I think that’s why it’s a favorite of mine for breakfast, as I don’t have to prepare anything. Although, I will occasionally fry up some extra bacon to have on the side….delicious!! This recipe is also perfect for breakfast or lunch on the go. It has saved me a number of times from making the wrong food choice when not at home. You can eat it cold or heated up so there’s no need to rely on an oven or microwave.
If you are looking for similar dishes to this one, make sure you check out the recipe for a Low Carb Mushroom and Goats Cheese Quiche, as well as this lovely recipe for Oven Roasted Pumpkin, Spinach and Feta Quiche.
Enjoy this low carb remake of a classic!
- 8 large eggs
- 200 gms /1 cup chunky diced bacon
- 2 medium zucchini quartered length ways and sliced thinly into quadrants
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream- full fat
- 1/2 cup cream- full fat
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- butter to rub on the baking dish
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon almond meal/almond flour
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 170 C/ 350 F fan forced
- Prepare an 20-30 cm/8 x 12” pan by rubbing it with liberally butter.
- Mix the parmesan cheese and almond meal together and sprinkle on the prepared pan, shaking it to distribute it all over.
- Beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Beat in the sour cream and cream and mix till combined.
- Mix in the coconut flour. Gently fold in remaining ingredients.
- Pour into the prepared quiche pan.
- Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes or until cooked in the centre but not dry. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Omit the almond meal and double the amount of parmesan cheese for the crust to make this nut free.
- Grate the zucchini instead of slicing it.
- Pan fry the bacon to make crispy before adding.