Low Carb Mexican Cream Cheese Dip
Low Carb Mexican Cream Cheese Dip
Low Carb Mexican Cream Cheese Dip is a brilliant recipe. It’s simple to make, tastes delicious and you can get a bit creative if you want to with presenting it. You know when you have guests drop by, and you don’t have anything to serve up. This is the kind of recipe that you can quickly make at the last minute, if you have most of the ingredients in the cupboard. Get creative if you are missing a few ingredients, and make this with what you do have available.
Make this dip to store in the fridge for a healthy snack, when you are searching the fridge and cupboard for something to eat. Try eating it with some low carb seed crackers or served with vegetable crudites. I also love eating it with sticks of celery. These would be ideal for snacks to take to work or to school.
At the local markets the other day, we bought a bottle of low sugar red pepper and chilli sauce. It’s really lovely, and I used it in the recipe. It only has 3.9gms carbs per 100 gms which is brilliant. If you don’t have anything like that at home, simply switch it out for some salsa or even some fresh diced tomato. You may also want to add a little more chilli to the recipe, such as chopped or crushed red chilli. Taste the dip though before you add anything as you might find it hot enough.
I got a bit creative with this recipe when I was testing it out. It just happened to be Super Bowl in the states so I made a football out of it. It was really easy to make and you can have a bit of fun garnishing it. You could create any shape out of this for a themed event, such as a bauble for Christmas, or even a Christmas tree. I sprinkled a mix of Mexican spice, paprika and salt on the ball because the colors were right. You could use parsley or other herbs and spices if you are trying to find a specific color for your theme. The sprinkle mix tasted great with the dip, so I recommend using it, especially if the color fits in with your theme.
Make sure to share any of your creative efforts by tagging @ketohh
- 250 gms cream cheese
- 150 gms finely grated cheese such as Parmesan/tasty cheese
- 2 tablespoons red pepper/capsicum finely chopped
- 2 tablepoons mayonnaise
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chives finely chopped, dried or fresh
- 1 tablespoon Jalapenos pickled, drained and finely chopped or to taste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves finely chopped optional
- 1 tablespoon chilli sauce, sugar free/low sugar
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- salt to taste
Optional Topping Spice Mix
- 3/4 teaspoon mild paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Mexican Spice Mix
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Blend cream cheese with mayonnaise, chilli sauce, lemon juice, garlic powder and onion powder, until smooth and creamy. Fold through remaining ingredients and season with salt. Serve dip at room temperature.
To Create a Shape
- if you want to shape your dip into a cheese ball or shape, place prepared dip into the fridge for a couple of hours (or over night) until it firms. Wrap it in cling wrap and shape it, or use a mold that you have lined with cling wrap to create your shape.
- If the mixture softens too much, you may have to refrigerate it again to help shape it. When you have the desired shape, smooth off with a knife and sprinkle topping mixture on using a fine sieve.
- Serve dip at room temperature.