Low Carb Hearty Beef Soup
Low Carb Hearty Beef Soup
Soups are fantastic dishes to serve up, espeically when they are really substantial, like this recipe for Low Carb Hearty Beef Soup. The recipe has been designed to throw in to a slow cooker, but you could easily just simmer this away on the stove top, and end up with the same result. Place everything in to your slow cooker, and you can come home at the end of the day to a hot bowl of hearty beef soup.
We are heading into winter and recipes like this are just perfect to warm your body and your soul. It’s funny how we find that soups are comforting, and not just when we are sick. Note that there are instructions for a slow cooker, which is really easy to make. There are also conventional stove top instructions. My preference is to use a slow cooker, as it means you can use cheaper cuts of meat, and the meat is melt in your mouth tender.
Ideas For Serving Low Carb Hearty Beef Soup
While a bowl of this soup is perfect on it’s own. You could try serving this delicious recipe with a slice of Healthy Low Carb Bread on the side, lavished in butter for a perfect, healthy meal. Because this soup is quite thick, it is also perfect to take to work for lunch for the perfect low carb lunch. It also freezes really well, so I freeze some of it in individual serves so it’s easy to grab one as you are rushing out the door.
Don’t feel like you have to be restricted by the ingredients in the recipe, as you can add any vegetables that you fancy would go in this dish. If you are watching your carbs then the vegetables listed are perfect. If you aren’t so concerned about you carb intake, you could add some higher carb vegetables such as parsnip, carrots and peas.
Radish – The New Potato
Don’t be afraid to add radishes to this recipe. They make a wonderful potato replacement and they lose their peppery taste when cooked, so you would never guess that radish has been added. Make sure you don’t peel them to maximise the fibre, and also use the green tops in the soup as well. Just slice them finely and add with the other vegetables.
More Delicious Low Carb Soup Ideas
If you are looking for some other fabulous soups that are low in carbs, make sure you check out the following recipes. They are all really easy to make and are substantial as well, so are perfect for a simple low carb meal.
- 750 gms diced beef such as gravy beef or cut of choice trim fat if necessary
- 6 cups beef/chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 6 stalks celery finely diced include the celery leaves
- 1/2 small cauliflower chopped into small florets including leaves
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 bunch of radishes diced into chunks skin and all, chop green tops as well
- 1 small parsnip diced optional
- 400 gm tin diced tomato sugar free
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tamari
Slow Cooker Method
- Combine all ingredients and cook on low in a slow cooker for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Delicious served topped with grated tasty cheese and sprinkled with fresh parsley.
- Carb it up by adding potato, parsnip, peas and carrots if it fits in with your way of eating.
Conventional Stove Top Method
- Use a quality cut of meat for this method as this is not slow cooked and will be tough otherwise. Use sirloin steak, chuck roast or chuck shoulder/pot roast.
- Add a dash of oil to a large heavy bottom soup pot and brown off the beef at a high temperature for about 10 minutes. Add the onion and continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Add the water, stock and all herbs and condiments, and simmer with the lid on for for 1-2 hours. The longer the better!
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the soup pot and simmmer for a further 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender.