Low Carb Mexican Salad Bowl
Low Carb Mexican Salad Bowl
This delicious, tasty Low Carb Mexican Salad Bowl takes no time at all to prepare. Many of the ingredients used in this recipe are ones that you could have at hand in your fridge and pantry. You can easily carb load this recipe up by adding foods such as corn kernels and Mexican beans to the recipe. A few corn chips scattered on top would be a lovely way to top this off for those not concerned about carbs.
You can Add The Meat of Your Choice
The salad features Mexican minced meat (beef, chicken or turkey) but you could easily use some store bought diced BBQ chicken or a slow cooked meat such as Slow Cooked Mexican Beef Brisket or Slow Cooker Pulled Pork, for a delicious option. The Mexican mince has been simply cooked off with some Mexican Spice Mix plus a couple of other ingredients and is very easy to make.
A lovely side to this would be to make some Flourless Cheese and Chive Muffins, omitting the chives and adding jalapeno’s to the recipe instead. These taste a little like cornbread and the flavor goes really well with Mexican food.
How To Serve This Dish
If you want to have some Low Carb Mexican Tortilla’s on the side, this low carb tortilla recipe would be just perfect. If you are a bit of a fan of Mexican food then you should also have a look at some of these other great tasting low carb Mexican recipes. The newest addition to these recipes is Mexican Cauliflower Rice and then there is the classic but so simple to make Salsa Picante. If you haven’t tried these easy to make recipes for Guacamole and the fabulous low carb, creamy cheesy dip that is a favorite of mine, Chilli Con Queso, I highly recommend you give them a try.
If you want to go all out with your Mexican food, then I suggest that you do it in style and try the lovely low carb and sugar free recipe for a Low Carb Margarita Cocktail. It’s a fantastic recipe and tastes just like an authentic, sugar laden version. You can’t just have one unfortunately.
These recipes are perfect to share with friends and family.
Mexican Mince Ingredients
- 500 gms Mexican minced/ground meat recipe below, shredded meat or chopped, cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Mexican Spice Mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 200 gms mixed lettuce leaf
- 20 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 red onion chopped finely
- 1 avocado diced
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 tablespoons grated cheese
- 1/2 cup Salsa Picante or fresh salsa
- Jalapeno's to taste and garnish
Mexican Mince Instructions
- Brown 500 gms minced meat of choice off in a frying pan in a dash of oil.
- Add the Mexican Spice Mix, cumin powder and minced garlic and continue cooking for 10 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of water.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and continue cooking till the juices dry out a little.
To Create The Salad
- Layer the salad with the lettuce on the bottom on 4 salad plates.
- Continue layering by adding the tomato, cucumber, red onion and avocado sharing amongst the plates.
- Add the browned meat or meat of choice such as shredded chicken.
- Top with salsa, sour cream and grated cheese.
- Garnish with jalapenos.